The benefits of a CMMS for a healthcare facility or hospital are undeniable. From faster response rates, to less critical-asset downtime, to more preventive maintenance, CMMS helps healthcare maintenance pros proactively manage requests, inventory and assets for better patient care.
In our recently released 2017 State of CMMS Report, we asked 1,000+ maintenance pros about their daily operations, how they use CMMS and the return on investment (ROI) they’ve seen from CMMS implementation. Many healthcare maintenance professionals weighed in, and what we found may surprise you.
Read below to learn several key insights reported by healthcare maintenance pros, and how facilities can improve their CMMS usage for more operational success. Or, watch our on-demand webinar to learn more about what our 2017 State of CMMS Report uncovered about healthcare.
1. 37% of healthcare maintenance teams aren’t adequately trained on CMMS.
One of the first steps to realizing the most return on your CMMS investment is training and onboarding the entire team. However, we found that 37% of healthcare maintenance teams weren’t adequately trained on the system used by their organization. Without proper training, the team may not understand the importance of work order tracking for critical assets, inventory control for unexpected emergency requests, or how the system helps meet compliance.
Proper CMMS training and implementation leads to true success across the hospital or healthcare facility. In fact, in our 2017 State of CMMS Report, 63% of healthcare pros reported that CMMS implementation helped improve system reliability and reduced downtime.
Gain the highest return on your CMMS for your healthcare team with these steps:
- Work with business leaders to align CMMS goals and advantages with existing operations and ensure buy in from key stakeholders in the healthcare organization.
- Commit to comprehensive and continual training beyond the initial implementation phase.
- Choose a CMMS provider that has a designated success team that will onboard the team, and help users define goals, roles and milestones.
>>> Related resource: What Does Successful CMMS Implementation Look Like?
2. 27% of healthcare pros have room to improve work order tracking.
The best CMMS solutions offer these benefits within work order tracking functionality:
- Access to real-time work order information from the field.
- Ability to send pertinent service request information directly to team members for faster response times.
- Easy task definition and assignment, and add details like record instructions, materials and more.
- Full visibility to open work orders across all technicians.
While work order tracking may seem like a no brainer for healthcare teams, we found that more than a quarter of facilities (27%) are still not tracking all work orders digitally on the CMMS.
>>>Related resource: Watch a webinar on top healthcare insights from our 2017 State of CMMS Report.
Across a healthcare facility, work order tracking helps teams maintain project transparency, improve response times on critical assets, streamline the amount of paper work needed and improve patient care. Data from 1,000+ maintenance pros revealed that 64% of facilities that configure most work orders in their CMMS report strong improvements to service satisfaction.
For more information on the benefits of CMMS across your healthcare facility check out these blog posts: How Hospitals Diminish Asset Downtime and Improve Patient Care and 5 KPIs Every Hospital Maintenance Professional Needs to Track.
3. 67% of healthcare teams have yet to realize the power of mobile CMMS.
Our personal lives depend on mobile capabilities more than ever. Can you say the same for your professional life? Our 2017 State of CMMS Report found that 67% of healthcare facilities have yet to reap the benefits of mobile CMMS.
Healthcare facilities can benefit from mobile CMMS in these ways:
- Save time with access to maintenance information whenever and wherever the technician is located.
- Eliminate the need for printouts and stacks of paper-based work orders.
- Increase labor productivity since techs can access work orders, documents and photos straight from their mobile device for less downtime.
Still not sold on mobile CMMS? Out of those same 1,000+ maintenance pros mentioned above, 80% who actively use mobile CMMS have reported strong improvements to labor efficiency. And what healthcare facility doesn’t want to improve team efficiencies for faster, better patient care?
Want to learn more about how healthcare pros use their CMMS? Download your complimentary copy of our healthcare report today. Or, check out our free ebook, How Hospitals and Healthcare Systems Gain a Competitive Advantage Through Better Maintenance.