How do I create a multi-series chart?
The Maintenance Connection Reporter provides options to create multi-series charts (e.g., multi-bar, stacked, with trend line). These chart styles allow for a more complex graphical presentation of your data, displaying data along multiple dimensions. Multi-series charts are more complex to create and thus require more familiarity with this type of charting. The following is a general guide for creating a"Multi-Series" Bar Chart.
To create a multi-series bar chart:
- Open the report on which the chart is to be placed and access the Chart/KPI Tab from the Report Setup Window.
- Open the Chart Type Dropdown Control and select "Bar Chart (Multi)". The fields on the page will change to support the definition of this type of chart:
- In the Chart By field, select the field on which the charted data will be grouped into sections. For our example, the chart will have a series of bar charts for each type of work order, so “Work Order Type Description” should be specified as the Chart By Field.
- In the Chart Name field, enter a desired name, such as “Count and Hours by Type”.
- Check the “Show Values” indicator if you wish to have the actual values corresponding to each bar displayed. The chart definition should appear as follows:
- In the Chart Function Data area, the calculations for the individual bars to be displayed (count, target hours, actual hours) will be defined.
- For the first calculation, select [WO] Target Hours for the Data Value, Target Hours for the Label, Sum for the Function and any desired color:
- Click Add to place these values into the Chart Function List:
- For the second calculation, select [WO] Actual Hours and enter the desired function and color. Click Add to place these values into the list.
- The third calculation will simply be a count. As such, any field can be used as all fields will return the same count of records. Select any field, enter “WO Count” for the Label, “Count” for the function and select any desired color. Click Add to place these values into the list.
- Your Chart Function List should look similar to the following.
- If desired, the arrows can be used to move the display order and the red x can be used to delete the field to enter a different value.
- Click Apply to preview your chart. You should have a series of bar charts for each type of work order included in your report: